Contrary to popular belief, Pripyat and Chernobyl are completely different cities.
Pripyat is located about 2km from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant (ChNPP). At the time of the accident it had a population of around 49,000 people. This figure included people from over 134 different nationalities from within the USSR. The average age in Pripyat was just 26 and each year saw more than 1000 children born. Pripyat is most directly related to the ChNPP as most of the employees lived there.
The city of Chernobyl is about 14km from the nuclear power plant. Before the accident it had a population of around 14,000 people. It had no commercial links to the ChNPP. Both cities lay within the then ‘Chernobyl’ territory district of the Kiev region. This is where the power station acquired its name. The district has since been abolished and incorporated into the Ivankov one.
The links below provide specific information about each city.
Brief statisics upon city of Pripyat before the disaster
Chronicles mention the locality of Strezhev as Chernobyl as far back as 1193: “Prince Rostislav of Vyshgorod and Turov, son of the great Kiev prince Rurik (who reigned from 1180 to 1195), was bound with his take from Chernobyl to Troicisky.”
The town of Pripyat belongs to the Kievan district (Kievskaya oblast) of Ukraine. It is situated on the right bank of the Pripyat, which flows into the Dnieper.